Verdantix Announces the Energy Innovation Award Winners for 2016
London, 12 February, 2016. Today, independent research firm Verdantix announced the six winners of their first annual Energy Innovation Awards. The winners were named at the Verdantix Summit in London. The Summit focused on getting value from energy innovation with leading industry experts speaking on topics ranging from ESOS to energy systems integration and new financing structures.
The awards are given to energy asset owners as well as the strategic suppliers who enabled the innovation. The 2016 award winners:
- Barclays won in the banking and insurance category due to the global nature of their integrated building energy management initiative which achieved a 30% reduction in energy consumption over 32 months. ISS and Tsebo helped deliver the Barclays energy efficiency strategy.
- Sainsbury’s won in the retail category for a project which involved replacing HFC refrigeration systems with CO2 refrigeration systems in 200 stores and then recovering waste heat. Ameresco was the strategic partner delivering the project.
- Poole Housing Partnership won in the public sector category for a successful micro-district heating trial project on terraced houses using heat pump technology. Minus7 was the key technology provider.
- Broadgate Estates won in the professional services category for the successful installation of an air source heat pump in a commercial building which reduced natural gas consumption by 85% in year one. Cavendish Engineers and Climaveneta supported the project.
- EDF Energy won in the utility technology innovation category for the energy efficient retro-fit of the Grade I listed Cannington Court Campus. EDF used in-house resources as well as Greenfield Energy and Dulas PV.
- OVO Community Energy won in the utility customer innovation category for its partnerships with councils which have enabled 7,000 households to buy cheaper energy from community energy schemes.
“There is a phenomenal amount of energy innovation happening in the UK market,” commented David Metcalfe, Verdantix CEO. “The award winners fought off stiff competition by demonstrating the positive operational and financial results delivered by their investments. We also recognize the achievements of noted finalists New Look with t-mac technologies, Ashford Borough Council with MeasureMyEnergy, Norland Managed Services with Worldview Learning, SmartestEnergy, and Greenchoice with Onzo.”
The selection process, administered by Verdantix, began with organizations nominating themselves or clients through an online survey by answering a variety of questions on the project being nominated. These nominations were then voted on by the selection committee, chaired by David Metcalfe, and consisting of industry veterans Mervyn Bowden, Richard Tarboton, Bobby Collinson and Rodolphe d’Arjuzon.
To learn more about Verdantix’s views on innovation in the UK energy market, read our blog here.
About Verdantix (www.verdantix.com)
Verdantix is an independent research and consulting firm with expertise in EH&S, energy and sustainability markets. Through our research and advisory services, we help corporate managers, investors, technology executives and services firm leaders to make robust, fact-based decisions. We are committed to delivering objective, timely and accurate analysis to help our clients succeed.
T +1 347 394 2687
M +1 845 608 6258